Lifestyle

8 Reasons Not To Move To Las Vegas

By  |

There is no place like Las Vegas in the entire world; therefore people from all over the world come here on a daily basis. Vegas has changed over the years, but most of the changes have occurred in the past 6 to 7 years.

1. HOUSING

the housing market here is over-inflated. A typical 3 bedroom 1.5 to 2 bath home with 1500-1700 square feet that should sell for $140,000. To $160,000. now sells for $230,000. To $250,000. The people that are buying these homes and the high rise Condo units are the wealthy who use them for their second or third homes or investors who rent them out.

2. WATER

the majority of the water used in Las Vegas comes from Lake Mead. The lake is currently 50 to 55 feet BELOW the level it was at 6 to 7 years ago. The population of Las Vegas is up around 2 million people. There are swimming pools in a large amount of the homes. You see an awful lot of people tearing out their grass and putting in Desert Landscaping which consists of colored rocks and a few plants. What is going to happen in the next several years as the population grows even more?

3. TRAFFIC

Sure, every city has its traffic problems. In Las Vegas it is magnified even more because of the poor freeway systems and the fact that the majority of the population lives in a valley surrounded by mountain ranges. Vegas have some of the most aggressive drivers in the United States. Some of the problem is a shortage of police out on the streets patrolling. Most cities have their normal RUSH HOUR traffic in the mornings and the late afternoons. Vegas have RUSH HOUR all day long because of the 24 hour work environment due to shifts stopping and starting all 24 hours. Also, because of the boom in construction, massive amounts of construction workers help clog the streets. Gasoline prices are among the highest in the nation.

4. SUMMER HEAT

it is dry heat! In the summer when it stays over 100 degrees every single day it is really HOT! It drains you if you are out in it for very long. No thunderstorms popping up for a little relief. No rivers or creeks nearby, just one big lake 25 miles away!

5. SCHOOLS

the school system is having big problems. They are building new schools to catch up the rising population which is good. The problem is finding teachers to fill the vacancies. The starting salary of a school teacher is around $27,000. Per year. Along with the teachers being underpaid is the fact that there is no affordable housing for them to relocate here. If you were a teacher, why would you want to move to Las Vegas and lower your standard of living?

6. EMPLOYMENT

There is plenty of jobs, mainly in the casinos, and the main reason there are plenty of jobs is because the casinos don’t treat you very well at all. When you apply for any job at all, you must account for the past ten years of employment and you must have good credit. Their attitude is that you can be replaced at a minutes’ notice by someone else. On 9-11 the massive layoffs that occurred were unnecessary. The casinos were worried about their BOTTOM LINE. Many management people were laid off and their job title eliminated so that even though they had worked there for several years, they reapplied and had to go through everything that a brand new person did and held no sonority.

7. GAMBLING

No matter where you live in the world right now, the lure of gambling will never be as great as it is here in Las Vegas. Casinos, grocery stores, gas stations, and most bars have gambling. When you live in Las Vegas gambling becomes an addiction. Sure, there are shows and fine dining but where are they mostly located? In the casinos! Normal activities that you might think of such as cooking out with family and friends and going out with friends to dinner are very hard to do because everyone works all kinds of shifts and have different days off. It is very difficult to get together with other people even once a month. You can only stay home and watch television or movies so much, especially when you see and feel the presence of gambling all around you. Another problem that goes hand in hand with gambling is ALCOHOL. When you are in a casino for any length of time at all, you usually have a few drinks. Why, because they are free! The dollar or two that you tip the cocktail waitress still makes it very inexpensive. Alcohol clouds your judgment and you end up making gambling decisions that you regret later. Gambling starts to take over your life. Your money is spent on gambling instead of other things like vacations, nice clothes etc. Like many others who live here, you tend to feel trapped. WORK, SLEEP, GAMBLE, DRINK! What a vicious cycle that is very hard to escape!

8. MULTI-CULTURAL

if you are a Caucasian natural born American citizen, you are a minority among the population here in Vegas. There are people here from Korea, China, Israel, Bulgaria, Mexico, The Filipinas, Romania, Pakistan, Iran and Ethiopia. Is this a negative aspect to a city? It is an awful lot like living in New York City and San Francisco. You find it hard to trust people when they don’t speak English because you don’t know what they are talking about. Some of the cultures of people are naturally aggressive. You are constantly watching your place in any type of line you’re in wither you’re at the grocery store, gas station or a fast food establishment for fear you’ll lose your place. If you like the big city atmosphere such as in New York or San Francisco then Vegas is for you! If you are used to friendly people who say Hi and speak English and are not overly aggressive, then Vegas is NOT for you!

BestofVegas. Best Shows. Best Hotels. Best Prices.

15 Comments

1. avatar

Latonya

April 20, 2015 at 11:30 am

Sounds like this person should stay in their cold, boring, caucasian, suburban bubble.

mariacarrascodiaz

January 13, 2016 at 8:54 pm

The writer is not a white person.

2. avatar

Mr. Bean

May 16, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Who wrote this article? 25% of this is BS!!

Ralph hagen

August 6, 2016 at 12:06 am

That’s right. The only problem with Las Vegas is the extreme heat. Rent is cheap.there are lots of jobs,the traffic moves fast in this city. It’s great here except for extreme summer heat

3. avatar

Paul

June 25, 2015 at 2:25 am

#1. Only partly true. in the state of Maryland where I am from I had a 1300 square foot house that sold for $280,000 and was built in the late 80’s, basement leaked and the property tax was over $3000 a year.las Vegas has way better houses for the money and most of them are brand new with the lower property tax and it no hurricanes or snow.

#2 Lake Mead and California are in a drought because of HAARP technology. its government causing the drought not the people.

#3 traffic? Yeah right! there is almost no traffic here. drive out at 8 o’clock at night and see for yourself! I am never late and I never leave early because there is no traffic. except for one spot on i-15 where some highways merge together. that’s where they tend to have accidents. if there’s any traffic it’s only in that one spot.

#4 Yes it is hot but it is a dry heat. I work outside when it is over a hundred degrees. but it is better than working outside in 90 degrees with humidity like the rest of the country. out here my clothes are not soaking wet. I will take the dry heat any day!

#5 Public schools? I personally don’t think that anyone should ever send their children to any type of public school. everyone trust the government to raise your children no wonder our children are getting stupider every year. you need to raise your own children.

#6 Jobs? anyone in their right mind has absolutely no right to complain about hiring and firing. casinos can hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason they want. I don’t prefer to have a job which is why I am about to be self employed. Casino jobs are not the only jobs in Las Vegas. for some reason people that don’t live here seem to think that the trip is the only place in Las Vegas. did you know that they were mass layoffs nationwide?

#7 gambling addiction? Hahahaha! almost every person here that I encounter and talk to almost never goes to casinos unless the casinos are offering a local special on the buffets. the compulsive gamblers were already compulsive gamblers before they moved here. I knew a compulsive gambler in the state of Maryland where gambling was pretty much illegal. once in awhile people work different shifts but that’s mainly at casinos. There are more jobs here then casino jobs just look at a satellite map of Las Vegas. who the hell wrote this article? Is this some type of propaganda to get people not to move here?

#8. multicultural? yes but to an extent only. I’m from the Washington DC area… Now that is multicultural. I can’t believe how many white people there are in Las Vegas. they are some of the most friendliest people I’ve ever met, the most family oriented, gun toting, pro Constitution people. I think this article was written by some racist person that probably never even visited Las Vegas. the only reason I’m wasting my time commenting here is because this article is one huge lie and makes absolutely no sense.

4. avatar

Amora

October 10, 2015 at 12:38 am

Whoever wrote this article is insane. He has to be referring to his own personal experience!

kono

March 23, 2016 at 5:03 am

Some of these comments are spot on, number three more so on the idiot drivers here, its almost like all the rejects and worse drivers in the country migrate to las vegas. Add in the moron cab drivers who must have attended a demolition derby school and voila. The public schools here are among the worst in the country. And people here are definitely very unfriendly. I am celebrating as I see the Welcome to las vegas sign in my rearview mirror pop open the champagne

5. avatar

Gwassees

February 25, 2016 at 6:57 am

Everytime I come to Las Vegas….I rub till my eyes shut!!!!!

6. avatar

Anonymous

March 9, 2016 at 6:30 pm

All of this info is wrong. The freeway systems are being worked on and have been improved. My house is almost 3000 sq. ft, has a big backyard (75 ft wide, 25 ft deep), 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, is two stories, room for 3 cars in the garage, and has trailer parking on the lot. It was just at 300,000 for the house. That’s pretty good in my mind.

7. avatar

Sky Simone Photography

March 12, 2016 at 4:37 am

As a wedding photographer it’s my dream to shoot in Vegas. I’ve just moved from Australia to San Diego but my husband and I are thinking about moving to Las Vegas.
    Housing is much more affordable than California, and the nightlife is amazing. It’s the weding capitol of the world.
    It’s disappointing to see some racist comments written by the author of this blog.
    I love Vegas and it has the most interesting people in the world
    Xoxo Sky Simone

8. avatar

Mark

April 9, 2016 at 6:04 pm

so if you’re not a white real american trump supporter then this is not the town for you.

9. avatar

Dave

May 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Dumbest inaccurate article I’ve read in a while. For those who LOVE heat like I do, a 100 degrees definitely beats winter. I HATE cold weather and snow and I currently live in Ohio and plan on moving to Las Vegas. I love sunny days (Vegas offers 300 sunny days per year). I love riding motorcycles and enjoy dry weather. Who wants to deal with rainy or snowy days?? Gambling? I don’t have any gambling addiction. A gambling addiction isn’t limited to demographics. And check out the hideous freeways in Chicago or Pittsburgh, I’ve driven route 15 many times when I visited Las Vegas. I loved it. And I love a multi cultural environment.

10. avatar

CMP

July 16, 2016 at 2:21 pm

The author is black. Now what?

11. avatar

Inna

July 24, 2016 at 1:12 am

Don’t you think that you are racist when comes to the multicultural part? What do you mean you don’t trust people from other countries because you don’t understand them? I am very sorry to inform you that most of the people from the countries you enumerate in your amazing article speaks very good English and beside English they speak several other languages. But I guess you are to ignorant to know this. And let me ask you this? What language your family spoke when they moved to America? Hm???Because trust me, your family moved here from some other continent to, unless you are Native American. So, before to insult other races or other cultures, THINK TWICE !!!!!

Olivia Rahim

July 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm

30% native american indian.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login