A Step By Step Guide For Creating A Capsule Wardrobe
Do you ever go through your closet and wonder how many pieces of your clothing you actually wear? We seem to get easily attached to our clothes, so instead of getting rid of pieces we don’t wear, they get stuffed in the back of the closet. So many of us buy clothes that never see the light of day, in compassion the average woman in the 1930’s owned less than 40 items of clothing. Maybe it’s time for a little clear out.
- Declutter Your Wardrobe
The first step to decluttering, is to take all your clothes out of your wardrobe, so you can clearly see everything you own. Then it will be easier to separate everything out into different piles. Make a pile for every type of clothing such as the following.
- Tops, blouses and shirts
- Jeans, trousers and leggings
- Shorts and skirts
- Jackets and Blazers
- Count Your Clothes
A great capsule collection should consist of around 30 to 40 pieces. Once you’ve separated your clothes, you can count how many of each garment you have. There are some pieces that are must haves, such as a classic trench coat or high waisted jeans. Then depending on if it’s summer or winter you should keep some staple seasonal items like a clean cut white T-shirt or a chic turtleneck jumper, to keep you warm in the winter months. Once you’ve counted all your clothes, it’s time to start getting rid of the unnecessary ones. The easiest way to get rid of a piece of clothing is to ask yourself when the last time you wore it was. If the answer is never, then you know it’s time to put it in the giveaway pile.
- Pick Quality Over Quantity
Your wardrobe has probably accumulated over the years due to random shopping sprees and the occasional retail therapy session. The timeless pieces are the ones worth splurging on since you’ll get your wear out of them, it’s worth making sure they’re good quality so they will last. If you’re searching for those staple items, then be sure to shop around and try on as many variations as possible. Ask for a second opinion before buying those all-important items such as the ones below.
- A good fitting pair of jeans is an essential, since they can be worn with anything.
- A classic mac or trench coat will be a go-to piece in your winter wardrobe.
- A chic black blazer can be worn in multiple ways, from work, to shopping on the weekend.
- The little black dress is timeless and universal.
- Mix And Match Your Pieces
The key to having the perfect capsule wardrobe is having key pieces that you can mix and match easily. There are those days where you probably feel like you have nothing to wear, even though piles of clothes surround you. By the time you finish rummaging through your wardrobe you’ll probably end up picking out your favorite top and jeans. So the best thing about having a capsule collection is that all the pieces will be your favorites, since they’ll be easy to throw on. Selecting interchangeable clothes will make your life easier, so when you’re in a rush you’ll be able to pick out a stylish outfit in record time. There are some combinations that never fail.
- Pair your high waisted jeans with a white tank top for a casual look.
- Denim shorts work well with feminine blouses or shirts for a hot summers day.
- Wear your black blazer with jeans for a smart/casual look, or wear it with trousers for a day at the office.
- Coordinate your little black dress with heels for a special evening or dress it down with flats for the day.
- Finish Off Your Capsule Wardrobe With The Perfect Shoes
Shoes can make or break an outfit, so make sure you choose some versatile ones that you can match with everything. When buying shoes think about when and where you plan to wear them. Then decide if the style and colors coordinate well with your clothes.
- Buy one pair of stylish and comfortable sneakers so you can wear them casually with jeans.
- Make sure you have a pair of edgy stilettos for evenings out. Black or nude are usually versatile colors.
- A pair of comfy brown boots will come in handy for dressing up and down.
- Having a pair of flats is ideal for those days when you want to give your feet a break.
Once you’ve gotten rid of all those clothes that you rarely wore, you’ll realise how easy it is to get ready in the mornings. Having less choice can actually be a good thing, you’ll be able to mix and match all your pieces for a variety of looks. Having a capsule collection will save you money, time and a lot of energy, so why not give it a go.