Timeless Fashion: The Art of Elegance
Just as Aphrodite will forever be synonymous with the ultimate beauty, David – a symbol of masculinity and physique to model yourself after, Steve Jobs the man whose success will be a guiding thought for generations to come, so will sophistication and elegance remain the most beautiful accessorize on a woman for all eternity. Elizabeth Taylor, Brigitte Bardot, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and other beauties that have marked the landscape of black and white screens (and life of the time, following) undisputedly understood the art of elegance and made sure they turned their life into it.
These exceptional women knew something else, too – good fashion and style aren’t just about the pieces they’d wear; they are about personality, a life outside of glamorous stores, heavy make-up and expensive clothes. To them – what came after mattered, and that’s why – to this day – we remain hypnotized with everything they were.
Assured, trends will come and go, hemlines will drop and rise, eyeliners will go thick or thin, but what will forever remain a staple of good fashion is the ultimate elegance and devotion to style superiority and class.
Think about those who did it better than us, yet remain open and observant enough to pick up the best pieces – we are giving you a few lessons in the art of elegance, i.e. ways to exercise your grace and guide it to the ultimate sophistication.
Work on yourself
A happy woman is a radiant woman. With your eyes wide open, your lips curved into a smile and a mind that can beat even the darkest of moments, embrace everything that’s ahead of you and conquer it. To look good and be graceful, it’s essential you find time for yourself and learn to live in peace with everything around you. Find your happy triggers and exercise them every other day (maybe even every day, if you’ve got the time) – meditation, sport, painting, drawing, cooking, reading, volunteering… anything that fills your heart with joy. Talk to yourself, and understand you are beautiful in all of your ways. You are worth it, you are amazing, you are everything you want to be. Once your mind is clear of unhappy thoughts, you’ll wear that dress better than you’ve ever thought you would.
Embrace staple pieces
When Coco Chanel designed her LBD, she knew she was designing it for a stylish, strong woman who can juggle her career and elegance with the same grace, success and devotion. For a modern woman living in the 21st century, it’s essential to have a few classic pieces in her wardrobe, because otherwise – her image will suffer. Talks of superficiality don’t even hold water in this case because, love it or hate it, a well-dressed woman (or a man) will always take lead over sloppy and untidy individuals.
Follow in footsteps of our favorite divas, and always have:
- A little black dress in three basic lengths (mini, midi and maxi) and a few styles; you can dress them up or down, depending on the occasion
- A stylish fitted jacket – this can be a great option for business occasions or elegant outings
- Sunglasses – retro and modern designer sunglasses like Sunglasses Warehouse will turn virtually any outfit into a staple piece. Take Jackie O and her style – the shades made her a fashion icon
- High-waist pant – While fitted legging is currently trending, nothing speaks style like high-waist pant with a bell legging. It’s easily combined with a loose shirt (for a casual look) or a tight top (for a more daring ensemble), and when combined with the right accessorize, it can speak volumes about your style
- A good pair of jeans – For a casual look, channel your inner Brigitte Bardot and wear jeans that compliment your figure
- A pencil skirt – Popularized by Kim Kardashian, but definitely worn by women of style prior, a pencil skirt is that one perfect piece of clothing every woman should rely on for a womanly touch
- A quality shoe – elegance has always come with simplicity; wearing flats (ballerina shoes, moccasins, strappy sandals or elegant slippers) with your everyday wardrobe may be a wonderful thing. When things need to go a little dressier, opt for a pump, just like Elizabeth Taylor would
- Elegant accessorize – a hair pin, hairband, necklace, ring, bracelet… anything that marks your style yet can be singled out as a staple piece works
Watch your behavior
With so much stress you are going through on a daily basis, it’s expected you’ll need to go somewhere and blow some steam. Still, no lady ever has let herself misbehave in front of other people, cuss or over-gesture. When you feel like using bad language, hold your tongue. When the arms start flailing around, control them. Stand tall with your head high and back straight, control your outbursts like a true lady, and be the one everyone looks up to.