2018 Holiday Gift Guide
It’s the time of year when shopping lists get a lot longer, and you aren’t just filling the pantry. You’re filling stockings and the space under a Christmas tree with presents for loved ones. The joyous occasion is fun in the moment, but trying to find the right gift for everyone on your list can be stressful.
Every holiday season there are must-have gifts that are trending hard. But often those gifts are short-lived. Our 2018 holiday gift guide is all about timeless gifts that will be appreciated for years to come. You know, the gifts that the recipient talks about or uses long after the holidays have passed.
With these holiday gift-giving tips you don’t have to stress about whether the recipient will be happily surprised because they’re guaranteed to love what they get.
Material gifts are great, but special memories last a lifetime and are truly treasured. An experiential gift is one that involves an event rather than a thing. A study from Cornell University showed that experiential gifts have a longer lasting impact compared to material gifts and make people happier.
An experiential gift can be:
- A vacation or weekend getaway
- Art gallery opening
- Sporting event
- Music concert
- Unique or seasonal activity
- Dinner at a nice restaurant
- Cooking class
- Hot air balloon ride
- Museum membership
The options are endless. The trick to nailing an experiential gift is to focus on what interests the recipient most. For instance, you might have had an unforgettable experience skydiving, but someone who’s terrified of heights probably won’t feel the same.
It’s also a good idea to make it a group activity that you can share together. That way you can reminisce together and give the gift of your time.
One material gift that actually qualifies as experiential is also very popular this holiday season. We’re referring to home video chat devices like Echo Show, Echo Spot, Facebook Portal and Google Home Hub. These devices keep distant family members and friends more connected and able to share in special moments even if they can’t be there in person. If you have a family member that recently moved away this is the perfect gift for the 2018 holiday season.
Everyday Comfort is Always Appreciated
Humans are creatures that crave comfort. Whether it’s financial, food, or physical we like to be cozy and relaxed. Comfort items are ideal for people who are stressed or rarely treat themselves to a little luxury. A few ideas to consider include:
- Cashmere sweater or socks
- 600+ thread count sheets
- Soft wool blanket or throw
- Catered comfort food from a local restaurant or meal service
- Day at the spa or massage
These types of gifts are always a winner. If you just can’t think of something specific for a friend or family member any of the above gifts will be welcome.
Give the Gift of Education
The gift of education is priceless. It’s one of the few things that can really transform a person’s life both in the short-term and long-term. You may be wondering what qualifies as an educational gift. Don’t worry, we’re not talking about non-fictional books or instruction guides.
- Is a relative planning to go to college? Then donate to their college fund or get them a gift card at the campus bookstore.
- Are they about to travel abroad? Then get them Rosetta Stone in the native language they need to learn.
- Does a loved one dream of working for themselves as a real estate agent and gawking at homes all day? Then consider getting them started with real estate licensing courses online or in-person.
- Are they an aspiring filmmaker? Then buy them a pass to an annual film festival or conference that’s not far from home.
- Does a loved one want to improve their golf game? Then get them a few lessons with a local pro.
Whether it’s a hobby, interest, or career aspiration, educational gifts are perfect for ambitious people or those who simply have a thirst for knowledge.
Still having trouble finding gifts? Check out these 5 underrated gifts that are perfect for the 2018 holiday season.