Everything You Need To About Mold & Mold Inspection: A Guide
A common challenge that homeowners face is mold. Not only does mold growth look particularly unappealing, but it can also be very harmful to you and your loved ones. In extreme cases, it can cause structural issues in the property.
So, here is a guide to help you identify and tackle the headache of mold growth so that you can get back to creating a hygienic and safe home environment for your family.
What exactly is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. It reproduces via tiny spores that release into the air. Mold can be found everywhere and on almost every surface. When found outside, it plays a crucial part in nature’s cycle by decomposing dead plants and trees.
Why should I be worried?
No environment is indeed entirely spore free, hence exposure to mold is inevitable. In fact, in small amounts, mold does not serve as a cause for concern. However, its growth in your home does warrant significant action. High levels of exposure to mold can cause allergy-like symptoms such as cough and wheezing. Those with an allergy to it will experience worse health problems and more discomfort. Mold also releases spores into the environment which can also exacerbate health problems. Moreover, a study has found a possible correlation between early exposure to mold and the development of asthma in small children.
How do I know it is mold?
Mold can sometimes be challenging to identify. A mold inspection is the most efficient way to find out if you have mold in your house. Sometimes home inspections in Ottawa also provide additional mold inspection services.
What is a mold inspection?
A mold inspection is an active investigation of mold growth in houses, offices and other properties. It is conducted by a qualified professional with experience in the field. A mold inspector looks for both past and present growth within buildings, inside walls and other places.
When do I need mold inspection for my home?
A mold inspection is an essential step in creating a toxin-free home environment. However, it is also a handy asset during property transactions. Here are eight possibilities where a mold inspection will be useful for you:
- If you have been experiencing symptoms associated with allergies, but there is no apparent cause to it.
- If you see growth on any house surface, but you are not sure if it is mold.
- If you cannot detect the source of a musty smell in your house
- If there have been plumbing issues
- If you are renting a property
- If you are buying a house- to know of any health concerns of the property
- If you are selling a house- getting a mold inspection in Ottawa makes the sale smooth and quick.
- If you are concerned about the air quality in your home
How do I prevent indoor mold growth in the future?
Mold needs a particular environment to grow and prosper like low ventilation and wet atmosphere. Hence, the best way to prevent mold is to ensure that it does not find these conditions in your home. This can be done in some simple ways:
- Install dehumidifiers and air conditioners to control the levels of humidity inside the house.
- Fix any plumbing issues promptly.
- Repair leaking roofs and windows as soon as possible.
- Dry the wet areas of the house within one to two days.
- Ventilate areas where water usage is common such as the shower, laundry room and kitchen.
- Monitor relative humidity with a hygrometer.
- Open doors and windows of the house and between rooms to increase ventilation.
- Use fans and keep furniture from wall corners to increase wall circulation.