What’s On Trend? Our Guide To Picking The Perfect Jeans
Finding a pair of jeans that are comfortable, fit well and make you look good is like a once in a lifetime experience. The joy that comes with everything feeling supported and held together by good, sturdy denim is unrivalled, regardless of whether they’re off the rack at the local charity shop, or you’ve indulged in a pair of designer skinny jeans. If your latest pair have gone missing or succumbed to wear and tear, or you haven’t felt that joy just yet, we’re taking a look at how you can pick out the perfect jeans to suit your style.
Depending on your personal preference, the waistline of the jeans you choose could make all the difference to your comfort. If you’re looking to tuck in that tummy you may be a little more self-conscious about, high-waisted jeans can be a great way to look and feel stylish and get all the support you could want. Original waisted jeans aren’t far off of high waisted and can offer you support without fully covering your stomach, and regular rise is a little lower than an original, but are more suited to any body type. There are also low, and ultra-low rise jeans, for those with a little more confidence to show off their stomach.
Once you’ve determined the ideal waistline, you can start to look at which fit you’d feel most comfortable in. There are a huge number of fits available on the market today, but some of the most common are:
- Slim – Slim jeans tend to fit relatively tightly around the thighs in some cases but are looser around the calves than skinny jeans would be.
- Skinny – Skinny jeans are one of the most popular fits today and typically sit tight against your skin.
- Jeggings – Jeggings are a hybrid between jeans, and leggings, offering the flexibility of a pair of leggings with the cover and comfort of a pair of jeans.
- Regular – Regular fit tend to feature a straight cut and aren’t designed to hug any part of your body. They’re flattering on most body types and can easily be styled into a sporty look.
- Relaxed – Relaxed fits are similar to regular, but tend to be wider in the leg and generally have a lower waistline.
- Boyfriend – Boyfriend jeans tend to be on the shorter side, but are a looser fit. They tend to come in faded colouring, with tears and turned-up bottoms becoming commonplace.
- Loose – Loose jeans are the loosest you can go, fitting more like sweatpants than ‘standard’ jeans.
You’ll know which colours you’re more comfortable in and with such a wide variety around, you certainly won’t be limited on choice. Generally, however, standard denim jeans fall into one of four categories:
- Dark Wash – Dark wash jeans are versatile, perfect for most occasions, and can have a slimming effect.
- Light Wash/Grey – These lighter styles are good for summer months, or for looking a little brighter during winter
- Black – This staple colour is one that most men and women will have in their wardrobe. They can be paired with absolutely anything throughout the year.
- Coloured – For the bolder amongst us, coloured jeans can be a great way to inject a bit of our personality into our outfits. From block colours like red, blue and green, to patterned jeans, they are a bit of fun for upcoming events.
When it comes to jeans, you’ll never know if a pair is a perfect pair until you try it, but by having a better understanding of the styles, colours and fits you can find, you can narrow down your search considerably. Now, go out into the world and seek out that holy grail pair – good luck!