Is it better to get a Fiance visa or Spouse visa

By  | 

Marriage is something that two people decide on because of their love for each other. Since love knows no bounds, there are some instances that the couple came from different part of the world, and with it comes some matters that need to be addressed by the couple.

With this said, if you or your partner both come from a different country, then acquiring citizenship after your marriage is a matter that needs a thorough decision. There are many categories of visas that you can avail. However, you need to determine what is the best option that you can take. 

One of the options that you can weigh is the fiancé visa and the spouse visa. Want to know more about these two visas? Then might as well read on to learn more and help you out!

What is a Fiancé Visa?

Fiancé visa, or also known as K-1 visa is a type of permit that allows an individual that has passed the requirements to enter a specific country. The person concerned is allowed to enter a state (such as the United States) as long as he/she is married to a citizen of that country no more than 90 days later.

After that, the newly married spouse can apply for permanent residency or also known as the green card, which is based on marriage.

What is a Spouse Visa?

The Spouse visa has two options that can be availed by a person applying for the intended permit. The offered possible options are IR-1 or CR-1 and K3 visa. 

CR-1 Visa. This visa is also known as the Conditional Resident visa, which grants a foreign spouse of a citizen to have permanent residency. The foreign spouse given with this type of visa can work in the specific country within a matter of months and as soon as they are granted with a green card.

The permit i is considered as a permanent conditional status. The newly married couple must apply to remove the conditional status to prove that the foreign spouse married a U.S citizen not to circumvent U.S immigration laws. The course of action needs to be done before the two-year visa expires.

IR-1 Visa. This spouse visa can only be issued for spouses that have been married to the citizen for a period longer than two years. The IR1 visa has similarities with the CR1 visa. The only difference between them is that the IR1 visa recipient is given permanent, unconditional resident status. 

Not only that, but he/she will be able to work instantly when they arrive in the United States.

K3 Visa. This type of spouse visa is only intended to shorten the physical separation between the citizen and foreign-citizen spouse. With this visa, the foreign spouse has the permission to enter the country and wait for the approval of the immigrant visa petition.

The said visas above are the different types of spouse visas that are ensured for the sole purpose of addressing the concerns of the couples from different part of the world. If you want to know more, then might as well read other sites such as for more information regarding this matter.

Fiance Visa vs. Spouse Visa

For Fiance visa, you have the intention to marry and live in the United States of America while being the fiancé. With the K-1 visa, the foreign fiancé can enter the country and marry the citizen within the 90 days window. One of its advantages is that its process is faster than the K-3 or CR-1 visa. 

On the other hand, the spouse visa has lots of things to be considered since there are a lot of options. However, if you were married for a period longer than two years already, then your visa has more advantages than the others. Why? Since you will be given permanent residency and permission to work immediately.

If you are wondering which visa gets posed faster, we could say that the process is very similar to each other. However, the benefit of the fiancé visa able you to join the country much faster than the spouse visa,

With this said, the cost for K1 is significantly much higher than the rest of the permits.

Comparison Between Fiancé and Spouse Visa

If there’s a common thing with all the visas that are stated above, that is the proof that you have a bona fide relationship with your spouse. 

On the other hand, the fiancé visa is that you should get married in the United States while the spouse visa is for those who were married outside the country.


Marriage is not a walk in the park. That is especially true to those people that have met the love of their life in a different country. 

With this said, regarding as to what visa suits your needs best, you should be able to make decisions that have a thorough plan. This kind of action is for you to be able to weigh things and have a smooth visa process.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply