A Man’s Guide to Styling Sneakers
Sneakers were once shoes that were reserved for working out and nothing else. Nowadays, sneakers are considered one of the most versatile shoes.
However, before you throw on a pair of sneakers, you need to know how to style them correctly. There’s a right way and a wrong way to style sneakers, and if you style them incorrectly, you’ll end up looking mismatched and underdressed.
So, how do you style sneakers? Check out this man’s guide to styling sneakers to learn everything you need to know.
1. Understand the Different Sneaker Types
First things first, you need to understand the different types of sneakers. Sneakers come in a variety of styles these days, from the very basic to the flashier Christian Louboutin sneakers.
Here are the most common type of sneakers:
- Basic Sneakers: These typically come in basic colors and are made of canvas materials. Basic sneakers are generally affordable and easy to clean;
- Refined Luxury Sneakers: These sneakers tend to bear a resemblance to basic sneakers, however, they’re typically made from leather or suede and are more expensive;
- Classic Sports Sneakers: What was once used on the track field is now an integral part of every basic shoe collection- think Asics, Reebok Pumps, and Tigers;
- Current Sports Sneakers: Again, these are your Puma, Nike, and Addidas brands, but with a modern twist;
- High-Fashion Sneakers: High-fashion sneakers include brands like Christian Louboutin, Givenchy, and Diemme. These tend to be designed to be noticed and come in bright colors;
- High-Tech Sneakers: While high-tech sneakers may not be universally recognized yet, they’re starting to make waves in the high-fashion world. These shoes are bold and push the edge of sneaker design.
Learn how to style your sneakers with your clothes
2. Basic Sneakers
Basic sneakers can help you look both street casual and smart casual. We suggest dressing them up, not down, and starting with a black pair and then purchasing other colors after that.
For summer months and holidays, try out some brighter colors.
3. Classic Sports Sneakers
Classic sports sneakers really started the sneaker revolution that we have today.
When it’s warm, we suggest matching these sneakers with khaki chinos. If you can, try to color match your classic sports sneakers with your outfit. To get the most out of your classic sports sneakers, it’s best to purchase a few different pairs in different colors.
4. Current Sport Sneakers
If you’re not careful, wearing a pair of current sports sneakers can have you looking like Jerry Seinfeld. To prevent this from happening, avoid buying current sports sneakers in all white. Additionally, don’t tuck your shirt into denim when wearing this type of sneaker.
To best complement the shoe, we suggest wearing a sporty outfit.
5. High-Fashion Sneakers
High-fashion sneakers seem to get louder and more in-your-face every season, so they’re definitely not for the faint of heart.
These shoes tend to pair well with loose-fitting t-shirts and black denim. If you want to pull off a Parisian look, we suggest pairing these sneakers with a long, drapey blazer. If you choose a brightly-colored pair of high-fashion sneakers, pair it with a muted outfit so that the sneakers can do the talking.
6. High-Tech Sneakers
Lastly, let’s talk about high-tech sneakers. Just like high-fashion sneakers, these aren’t for the faint of heart.
It’s best to pair high-tech sneakers with muted colors, otherwise, it will look like you’re trying too hard. They also look great with long, drapey-style clothing.
Now that you know how to style sneakers, it’s time to start building your collection. Pretty soon, your sneakers will be your go-to shoes.