An Easy Guide To Organzing Your Closet
If you organize your closet, you are going to find it much easier to find the things that need, when you need them. You will also know exactly where your favorite sweater id, your comfy pair of jeans, and your go-to sweat pants.
How you organize your closet will is going to differ slightly based on the space you have, the size of your wardrobe area, and the kind of life you lead. However, this easy guide for organizing your closet should set you up for success.
- Put together an organizing supply kit, include items like a toss basket, a tape measure, and charity bags.
- Empty your closet entirely.
- Clean it from top to bottom, make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Declutter your belongings, recycle, donate, or sell items you no longer need, want, or fit and ditch the accessories you no longer use.
- Take this time to assess your storage solutions and make sure they are good enough for the clothing, accessories, and shoes that you have.
- Organize your clothing, accessories, and shoes and put them back into your closet in similar groupings. Move the most worn items to the front so you can grab them easier.
What Do You Need?
In order to organize your closet efficiently, you need to ensure you have the right tools to hand. Resist the urge to begin this huge tasks after a long day of work. If you want to organize your closet you need to make sure you have the time to commit to it.
Things to include in your kit:
- Donation bags or boxes.
- A full-length mirror, you need to try things on in order to decide if you want to keep or toss.
- Tape measure, use this to measure your space for any organized storage.
- A Basket, this for any loose change, rubber bands, hair clips, papers, recipes, etc that you might find. You can sort through them later.
It’s also a good idea to make sure you have an idea of a plan of action for getting rid of anything you’re not keeping. Setting it up with tools like boxes by SpotTheWatch is a great way to prepare for the decluttering.
Empty and Clean
If you’re used to just throwing your clothes, shoes, and accessories anywhere in your closet this part will be a little strange. You will probably come across items you haven’t seen for a very long time Remove absolutely everything including the hangers and items on the floor and shelves.
You then need to lean it from top to bottom with disinfectant and think about how you are going to re-organize it.
Declutter You Shoes, Accessories and Clothes
Whether you were looking forward to it or not, the decluttering needs to be done, otherwise you’re just going to have a mess being put back into a clean-smelling closet. Some people are rubbish at decluttering, they love to hold on to things, but you need to be strict on yourself. Closets don’t often have much space so this makes it valuable.
You should keep anything that you wear often or love. If you have good conditioned clothing or shoes that you could sell but no longer want to put these to one side to sort later. Other items you can donate unless they are more suited to just chucking. Things to consider chucking are anything that is stained, ripped, completely out of style ot anything that you would be a little shy to donate.
If you finding it particularly difficult, think about including a maybe pile that you can revisit at a later date. You could even ask someone to help you out by offering your opinion.
- Add in a step stool to reach the higher storage areas.
- Double hang and make more use of horizontal storage space.
- Add over the door storage solutions,
- Don’t spend a fortune, it can all be done on a budget.
- Always measure the space and utilize as much of it as possible.
The more often you can go through your closet the better. It’s going to prevent you from needing to spend almost an entire day organizing again in the future. Complete a quick check at the end of each new season and get rid of items you haven’t worn, don’t fit, or have become damaged. It’s also a good idea to make sure you keep on top of the cleaning. Once it’s organized there should be no problem removing the items, remembering where they’re supposed to go, and giving it a fresh clean once or twice a year at least.
This easy to follow guide should definitely help you to organize your closet space and keep it clean and tidy. Do you have any tips that you could add to the comments below?