Tips for Getting Back on Your Feet After Hitting Rock Bottom
Hitting rock bottom can be one of the most eye-opening experiences of someone’s life. While some of your current obstacles can seem difficult to overcome at this point, the most important thing to remember is that you can use this awareness to drive more progress in your life from here on.
That said, getting started can be the hardest part for those looking to rise above their mistakes. Are you looking to improve the quality of your life? If so, here are some helpful tips for getting back on your feet after hitting rock bottom.
1. Figure out how you got to this point (and ask for help).
There can be any number of reasons why you have hit rock bottom. Whether this is a result of poor choices that led to a bad financial situation, untreated mental health issues or drug abuse, or a series of other bad decisions, there is often some type of choice that we have made or a specific cause that has caused us to reach rock bottom.
Part of being able to recover from this state of being begins with cultivating more awareness around that which got you there. Once you know exactly how you got there, ask for help to get you out. This could look like:
- Reaching out to a treatment program if you are dealing with a mental illness or a drug addiction. Although substance abuse can be daunting to work on, reaching out to a residential treatment center or an addiction treatment center that provides outpatient services can be the best option to help you recover from the physical and mental systems associated with a substance abuse disorder. Look for a local treatment facility near you such as an NJ drug rehab to get started.
- Asking for financial help from knowledgable resources. If you have made poor financial decisions and have a credit problem or very little money, one of the best ways to begin is by going through the credit repair process. While fixing your credit history can be hard, all you have to do is look for the best credit repair companies to help you improve your financial knowledge and work on boosting your credit score.
- If there are other poor choices that have been made, look over the past year and beyond and figure out which choices had the most impact. Then, figure out exactly what can help you avoid those same choices and make better ones!
Getting help is the first step. Remember, you are never alone in your journey!
2. Take responsibility and create a plan of action.
If we can’t accept that we’ve caused ourselves to hit rock bottom, we will be unable to move forward. Accept responsibility for your current situation and figure out where you want to go from here. Set aside some time to map out where you currently are at this point in your life, where you want to go, and how you can get there. This starts with setting specific goals that you will be able to achieve over time. Whether you are looking to save a certain amount of money, move into a better place, or get a specific job, you can reach your goals with the right plan of action and determination.
3. Stay optimistic as you move forward with your plan.
Being at rock bottom (and get there) can greatly impact your mindset. At the moment, you may have a more negative perspective regarding your current position and the potential to get out of it. Whatever your mind or those around you may be telling you, stay optimistic as you move forward. Remember, this is a unique opportunity to change your life and fix all of the things about your life that are causing you stress and unhappiness. You can do this!
Hitting rock bottom can be a difficult experience, but it can also be one that allows you to create serious change in your life. If you have hit rock bottom and want to make a change now, use the tips above to move forward more successfully and design a life that is better for you.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login