Easy Improvements You Can Make To Add Value To Your Home Today
How will you manage to turn your home into the house of your dreams this year? This is a question that concerns you a lot and the truth is that it concerns a lot of people. Covid 19 has affected house prices which means that more people are looking to buy (because of reduced house prices) but also that there is a lot of demand and some people are just not ready to make the leap at all. So let’s see what changes and improvements you can make to your home to start seeing it with a different eye, making it chic, and start improving its value.
How to begin
First of all, think about what is a priority. You need to know what your budget is before you start any purchase. Do not start buying anything before you have made an honest list about what you want to change in your home. They say if it’s not broke, don’t fix it! If you change too much then you will probably see your budget evaporate very quickly into items or materials that may not be of primary importance to you and you will not have the money to spend on what you need. So let’s see what the most common changes are and how you can go about getting them for your home. Before we delve into the creative parts, look at the practicality of things. Get rid of the things you don’t need! Start throwing away or recycling everything you don’t need and don’t want to have in your home anymore. Battered, old, out-of-fashion items that make your home look old-fashioned can be thrown away. This will clean your space and make it ready for improvements.
Paint the front door a different shade!
A very nice idea to renovate your home is just to paint the front door. Choose a color that you really like and that stands out from the rest, without looking gaudy. You can do the same with the interior doors of your house. The most economical way to renovate your home is to have a thorough cleaning session and then paint it afterwards, because this will hinder your painting process. A clean house can be such a benefit too!
Replace your old and “boring” light fixtures!
Light fixtures do not have to be very expensive to be beautiful. You can simply replace your old light fixtures with new and modern ones, which will greatly beautify your space. Add new light sources by placing floor and table lamps in the space to add a hue and a delicate cosy feel throughout. Add plants for extra cosiness.
Make small improvements in kitchen and bathroom
If the replacement of your electrical appliances or in general the complete renovation of kitchen and bathroom is a difficult affair financially, then you can just make small changes. Change the knobs from your cabinets and drawers or change the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom. This can add style and substance! In addition to this, match these with your plug sockets. This is a very economical change that will make your space feel renewed and also stylish. Golds and silvers look good instead of the boring white plastic.
Change your curtains and furniture
You can find very beautiful and economical curtains that will renew every space if you just take a peek online and in thrift stores. If you buy new curtains, it will add or take away from the light which may be a bonus depending on where you are dressing.
In terms of furniture, if you are savvy enough then you can certainly make your own. It can be very expensive to make curtains, sofas or tables to measure, however, but you can certainly do the following: look at what you already have and upgrade. For example, put extra fabric or rafts on your curtains. Or paint the legs of a table you already have in another shade. If you are keen to buy something new for your bedroom then certainly look at Liberty Furniture beds for a plethora of designs to suit your needs.
Bring relaxation to life
Having a relaxing space is so important. You most likely entertain or relax in your living room. The secret to a beautiful and impressive living room that exudes style, luxury and elegance is nothing but imagination! You will want to begin with adding art and textures. Treat the centre wall of your living room like a canvas where you can freely experiment with different textures and shades, to create interesting visual contrasts. Dark shades of blue and red can look sophisticated and be relaxing, as they give weight and seriousness to any space. However you will want a little light and dazzle. Add gold! You do not have to add 24 carats of course, but you can make a little bit of gold stand out in your room. Take a simple mirror and spray paint the outside frame with gold paint. Immediately your space will look much more stylish and impressive and it will complement the darker colors.
Textures also make somewhere feel relaxed. If you are in the process of buying a sofa then a leather sofa will definitely upgrade your living room and also is soft and yielding. However, add some cushions and a throw for extra cosiness.
If you have free space, try filling them with a large painting, posters, or even lots of small photo frames, this will add a relaxing touch especially if the art reflects your personal style.
Is it easy to begin?
You don’t need to bring in a professional at all but with a few little tips, you can find that you can really bring your home to life. So here are some of the best tips to ensure that you’re doing things right:
- Have a central point – The point you will choose in the space to highlight is the one that will give character to the whole room. Do not think that it has to be something big or expensive. Even a small piece of art or mirror can prove valuable.
- Use the furniture wisely – Depending on their use, the rooms have pieces of furniture that play a key role, for example, in the bedroom it is not possible to remove the bed or weaken its role. So, what is best, is to play up these main pieces, such as the sofa or some kind of table. However the central idea of the space revolves around the management of a common space, which serves both your personal needs and your social gatherings – basically, keep things in focus to provide a warm feeling in your room.
- Create a theme – One simple element that helps is to choose a themed decor. But this does not happen because you placed a characteristic element on the wall, e.g. a mosaic tiles or some leaf print wallpaper, but when many details are combined around one theme. So, if you use decorations, fabrics with patterns and colors that refer to nature, then you will have created a themed decoration. The same applies to colors but this is quite subjective.
- Highlight the “natural” characteristics of your space – In each room there will be some elements that are impressive in themselves. For example the fireplace, a beautiful bay window, a wall with an interesting alcove. Focus on them and highlight them as the winners; with lamps or plants to dress them up. Your natural home decor will take you far.
- The colors you use play a main role – Color instantly transforms a space in the most effective way, while helping you focus your gaze on a point in the easiest way. So, for example, whether you decide to paint a wall in bright red or apply just a small area with a bright color, you will lead people naturally to focus on that one bright color. However, you should not isolate it from the other elements, and you should also remember that more understated colors such as pale blues and pastels will look equally as good and can provide a really lush feel to the house.
Finally, with color you can change the feel of the space. In the living room if you want to separate a corner for reading, discussion or music let’s say, you can have this a separate color and it can make it feel as if it is part of another room. Using white walls is going to bring light in and make it much brighter and airy. It doesn’t take a lot but it can make a world of difference to your house price and the look of it when people come to view it. It’s time to start taking back control of your home decor and appreciating it entirely.
With these simple changes, that don’t have to be expensive, you can upgrade your home to make it feel luxurious and add to its asking price on the market.