Food & Wine
Cooking At Home: Five Tips To Make It A Romantic Evening
We’re all dealing with lockdowns and quarantine right now, and so trying to fit in a date night is a lot harder than it usually is. Setting up a romantic date night is often harder than anything else, but with a romantic dinner at home, you can make lockdown nights a lot more fun.
The problem is that most people don’t know how to set up a truly romantic evening. They may never have had a romantic dinner at home and half of the fun is in the preparation. You need to shop for the freshest ingredients: veggies from organic grocers and meat from Superior Farms. You need to look for recipes you know your partner would love: panna cotta or trifle? Lamb or pork? You need to find those good candles with the good china – the one you got for your last anniversary. All of the options put together makes a romantic dinner come to life and you can be in charge of seeing it through without a hitch. Let’s take a look at five things you can do to make it a wonderful night.
- Drinks are important for a romantic night. You don’t necessarily have to have alcohol, especially if one of you doesn’t drink it. A romantic dinner is not complete without the right drinks, though. If you love wine, choose something to complement the meat that you’re serving: white wine for fish and red wine for lamb. A steak also goes very well with a red wine, and chicken also works with chilled white wine options. If they prefer soft drinks, sparkling flavored water is always a winner! Use an ice bucket on the table for chilled drinks – you won’t regret it!
- Dinner is the main event here, and it doesn’t have to be complicated. A rack of lamb with a red wine jus and mint sauce is a gorgeous choice, but even the simplest food can be romantic. If their favorite meal is crumbed mac and cheese, then you know you’re onto a winner with that! Romance comes with how much you know them!
- Set the table properly. A romantic evening needs tablecloths, mats, candles and cutlery holders! You want this to look as good as it tastes. Add a huge vase of fresh flowers, too, with the best china you have in the house.
- Add music, and wear something you know they love you in. If you are told you look good in blue, wear blue and wear a good perfume or cologne. If you know the table looks good, you look good and the food tastes good, it’s already a great meal. Just let the conversation flow now and it’s the perfect dinner.
- Lastly, just relax. You’ve done the hardest bit in all the preparation and the cooking. If this is a success, at least you know that you can have a romantic time during lockdown! Dinner is a good way to invite conversation and show off your cooking skills, especially if you’re not the main chef in the house!