5 Ways to Combat Forehead Wrinkles Without Surgery
Forehead wrinkles are most likely the predominantly noticeable wrinkles on our face, especially as we begin to show signs of aging. Starting as early as our 20’s, they are caused by repetitive movement of the muscles in the forehead.
We express our thoughts, emotions, opinions and just about every other non-verbal communication through our faces and our body movements. Given that research has shown that as much as 93 percent of all communication is non-verbal, you can understand why we develop wrinkles to begin with.
Whether or not we develop wrinkles isn’t really the problem, the issue is how to get rid of them without some complicated, invasive surgery.
By now, most people know that sun damage causes a breakdown in collagen, therefore increasing the prominence of any wrinkles and fine lines on the face, especially.
Thankfully there are several ways to treat your skin that can greatly reduce the signs of forehead wrinkles on your face and help you look years younger.
- Collagen Producing Skincare-There are any number of serums and creams that help create and maintain your skins vital collagen store. The more collagen you have in your skin, the healthier and younger you’ll look. Collagen equals less wrinkles.
- Peptides and retinol, which should be main ingredients, help with collagen production and elastin production, as well as skin turnover for a smoother complexion.
- Pin-point Technology-Lasers, which used to be done only in a dermatologist’s office, are now available for home use. Laser technology targets specific skin segments to give you more luminous and visibly improved skin.
Obviously, laser treatments aren’t for everyone and creams might have side effects or allergic reactions. So how do you get visibly smoother skin pronto?
- Botox Baby-Injectables, like Botox, offer a skin filler that gives your own collagen a boost, sort of like a really nice wingman. They fill in areas that need it and provide a plumper, firmer complexion when you need it most. With almost instantaneous results, injectables offer an impressive turnaround.
- New Skin-Another quick treatment option is the application of skin resurfacing lasers. More effective than the at-home version, these lasers can cost anywhere from $350-$1000, based on the number of treatments and will all but guarantee results.
It can be a difficult decision to decide what to do when you’re in a pinch. Obviously a more permanent solution is preferred, but sometimes that’s just not possible. So what do you do when you’re in a hurry and those forehead wrinkles are sticking out like a sore thumb? Makeup to the rescue. Although there are some general guidelines to help you disguise your less than luminous marks of expression.
- First-Sarah Lucero, global director at Stila Cosmetics suggests that you not use a foundation that’s “too heavy or luminous, as this will only enhance your wrinkles.”
- Second-Use a clean, damp makeup sponge and be sure to press a ‘mattifying primer’ over your wrinkles with your fingertips.
- Third-It’s all in the eyes. Using the right color can draw attention away from your wrinkles. For example, according to Lucero, using a soft coral or peach blended blush and shimmering eye shadow with draw attention to your cheeks and eyes and away from your forehead; all good for masking those pesky wrinkles.
An Ounce of Prevention
We’ve all heard the adage; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, except how do we translate that to our faces, hands, necks, etc?
When it comes to preventing the early signs of aging, Lucero also has some tried and true tips for keeping wrinkles at bay.
- Screen the Sun-Her first tip is to be religious about sunscreen. Keeping Ultraviolet light off your skin as much as possible keeps the sunlight from breaking down the collagen in your skin, which in turn leads to the development of fine lines and wrinkles. I.e., less sun means less wrinkles.
- Seasoning Greetings-Spices such as: garlic, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger all help to lessen the skins production of elements that degrade collagen and elasticity; two components of healthier, firmer, younger looking skin.
We’ve all been where you are. You’re starting to see fine lines around your mouth and eyes when you smile. Someone makes a comment about your skin and suddenly you’re uber self-conscious about what people see when they look at you or you’ve just turned the big 4-0 and life will never be the same again.
Thankfully, you’ve got some options open to you when it comes to dealing with those irritating forehead wrinkles without using surgery to solve the problem. And just in case it’s more about your environment than your age that’s contributing to your premature signs of aging, here are a few tips to help you take control of that too.
- Eat Well, Be Well-That whole, you are what you eat slogan, that’s not just a catchphrase for foodies. Eating a well-balanced diet rich in Vitamin C and Omeg-3 fatty acids help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in American women, according to a 2007 research study. On the opposite end, a diet higher in fats and carbs can increase the risk of wrinkles as you age.
- Stay Hydrated-Making sure you are well hydrated helps prevent and reduce the look of wrinkles by replenishing the skins cells with much needed water. The skin stays moist and supple instead of getting dried out.
- Smoking Cessation-Obviously it’s good to quit smoking. Along with reducing your risk of lung cancer, emphysema and heart disease; it also helps you reduce or prevent pesky wrinkles from appearing prematurely.
- Obliterate Stress–Stress can wreak havoc on your skin, as worrying leads to creasing your brow, thereby creating more muscle movement. Ergo, more stress means more wrinkles. And while no one can be stress free all the time, it’s a good practice to find healthy ways to deal with stress so you keep your forehead wrinkle free, at least for a while.
- Things like yoga, meditation, deep breathing, aromatherapy, music therapy, daily exercise and keeping a journal can all help reduce your stress levels and keep your forehead wrinkle free.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login