A Simple Guide To Making The Most Out Of A Real Estate Sale
Homeowners have been selling their homes for centuries and there are many reasons why. Some people want to move into a retirement home, some want to simplify their lives by moving into an apartment, and others are looking for a change of scenery. But no matter the reason behind it, we can all agree that deciding when to sell your house is one of the most important decisions you’ll make during your lifetime. And while it’s not always easy or straightforward, with just a little preparation and the right information at hand, you’ll be well on your way to making this life transition as smooth as possible. Here are tips every homeowner should know before they decide to sell their home in North Carolina.
Tips for getting ready to sell
Before you list your home for sale, there are a few things you should do to get ready. One of the first things you should do is take a good hard look at your home. If it’s not in top shape, before you put it up for sale, make sure that any repairs and improvements are completed. You will also want to take care of any outstanding bills or other obligations. All money that has come into your house (rental income, tax refunds, etc) needs to be accounted for and kept separate from your personal finances.
You also need to get any paperwork in order to ensure the closing of the sale proceeds smoothly. This includes copies of all keys, documents related to household insurance, final utility statement, and mortgage, and loan documents. The lender may even require that you turn in your mortgage note, deed of trust, and policy or title to the home.
Another thing you might want to do before selling it is to get an appraisal. This will give you a good idea as to how much your house is worth on the open market so you can set an asking price at a reasonable level. A real estate professional should be able to arrange this for you on short notice.
Why you should hire a real estate agent
If you’re looking to sell your home, then hiring a good real estate agent is the best decision you can make. Agents will have information about your area that you don’t know, such as what the average price of homes is and how long houses typically stay on the market. They will also know which neighborhoods are in demand and can recommend staging techniques for getting more money when selling.
Real estate agents generally charge somewhere around 5% of the final sale price of your home, but it’s worth it if you see better offers coming in. There are other fees for things like advertising and marketing too, but these are usually a small percentage of the overall fee. Moreover, this “we buy houses” company in Charlotte, NC is buying properties for cash so if that is something you are looking for, check it out. All in all, real estate agents have to offer their experience which is pretty important. Not only do they know their way around the house selling process, but they also know what buyers are looking for when it comes to homes and prices.
What you must do before selling your house
Selling a home can be stressful enough as it is without having to worry about how you’re going to sell it in the first place. It will be much less worrisome if you take care of these things before putting your property on the market:
- Make repairs: You should make all necessary repairs prior to listing your house for sale. This could mean anything from fixing broken fixtures and appliances to replacing old carpeting with updated materials. If something isn’t working properly then you’ll want to have it fixed before you get potential buyers.
- De-clutter: One of the reasons that people hire real estate agents is to help them out with selling a home, but agents also use this time to price and stage your house so that’s it’s as attractive as possible to buyers. To do this they will need for there to be as little clutter in your home as possible. That means getting rid of old furniture or other random items lying around your house. You should clean up, organize, and even rearrange the things you want to keep so that everything looks nice and neat!
- Move important documents: If you have files containing important documents like birth certificates or passports then you will want to move those into your safety deposit box at a local bank. You don’t want to leave these in your home when you put them on the market.
- Take good pictures: No one wants to see hazy, grainy photos being used as the only marketing tool for their house so make sure you take some great shots of your property before putting it up for sale.
- Update your technology: Make sure that you have all the latest devices so that you can be accessed by people interested in your house. Having a great internet connection and possibly even video cameras installed should make it much easier to communicate with buyers before they get to see the property in person!
The benefits of selling your home
Selling your home can be good for your family for many reasons. It can offer a fresh start, give you a chance to get out of a mortgage or lease obligation, and it can reduce the amount of stress in your life.
It may be time to sell if:
- You’ve been planning on downsizing or retiring soon.
- You recently moved to another location within the same state or country.
- Your children have all grown up and moved out.
- You have been planning on moving for work and need some extra money for expenses before you leave.
- You’re getting married.
- Your house has some problems; it may be too much to fix all at once, or you can’t afford a new home while fixing the current one.
If any of these sound familiar, now is a good time to sell your house!
Selling your home is a big decision, and it’s important that you do everything in your power to make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible. If you’re not really up for tackling this project on your own, then hiring a real estate agent can be beneficial. They know what buyers are looking for when they see homes listed online or come into their office and will be able to help spruce up any problems with your property so it has the best chance of being sold quickly! The tips we’ve provided should give you some idea about how to get started by preparing things like repairs and de-cluttering before listing.